apt-get upgrade removing ifupdown on jessie→stretch upgrade

Hey,

I just upgraded a system that had ifupdown from backports.org on it.
Following cleanup and dpkg --audit etc., I ran

  root@cymbaline:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# apt-get upgrade
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Calculating upgrade... Done
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    ifupdown libasprintf0c2 libperl4-corelibs-perl libuuid-perl python-bson python-pymongo

and indeed, it then went on to remove ifupdown.

What am I not understanding right here? Shouldn't "apt-get upgrade"
NEVER EVER EVER EVER remove something?

Can I find out in hindsight (can't reproduce this) what might have
happened?

Thanks,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer

unix, because rebooting is for adding new hardware.