Re: Browserified files and DFSG

Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> writes:

> On Monday 11 July 2016 01:09 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Yet it is built with a tool not in Debian, from a different form of the
> > work that upstream actually uses for reading and modifying — the source
> > form of the work. So that compiled form is not the source form of the
> > work.
>
> There is a reason for that requirement, it is not like a bible or Quran
> or another holy book where we have to follow word by word without
> questioning.

Right: the reason is to ensure that the recipient has everything they
need to build the software as shipped in Debian, with any (including
none, if they choose) modifications made to the source form of the work.

A pre-requisite for that is to provide the actual source form of the
work in Debian.

Another pre-requisite is to provide in Debian the build tools used to
generate the Debian binary packages from the source form of the work.

> For me, the reason is to be able to modify the code and with readable
> javascript file that is possible.

Modification is not sufficient, if the modifications can't be built with
the same tools, to produce equivalent Debian binary packages.

--
 \        “… no testimony can be admitted which is contrary to reason; |
  `\   reason is founded on the evidence of our senses.” —Percy Bysshe |