Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

On 26/12/16 10:50, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> ifconfig, route, etc...
>
> Recently the net-tools maintainer has forked the abandoned net-tools
> code base and started developing it again, after 15 years of stasis.

I am currently the Debian maintainer for net-tools, but note that I have
not forked, nor I am developing net-tools. Upstream got active again,
somehow.

> With this post I want to encourage fellow maintainers to stop depending
> on net-tools, which is obsolete software and has been replaced long ago
> by iproute.
> Can we stop shipping two network configuration CLI tools in the default
> install?
> net-tools has long been deprecated and should not have important
> priority, for a start.

I agree wholeheartedly, and thought about retiring it in the past, but
it proved impossible at the time.

Maybe the output format change will make people finally switch to
something less awful.

--
Martín Ferrari (Tincho)