Re: What happened to the idea of using migrations and coordinated uploads when updating packages that has many reverse dependencies?

Pirate Praveen writes ("Re: What happened to the idea of using migrations and coordinated uploads when updating packages that has many reverse dependencies?"):
> On ചൊവ്വ 06 ഡിസംബര്‍ 2016 01:26 രാവിലെ, Paul Gevers wrote:
> > Sorry, and to prevent further damage, I'll not touch existing JavaScript
> > packages again.
>
> That is not a good outcome either. [...]
>
> What I suggest is the following,

This is quite a checklist.  Frankly, in Paul's position, I probably
wouldn't have thought of such a list and if I had I would have
concluded that the problem was too hard, and go and spend my effort
somewhere else.

What would you prefer from people who don't have the time or ability
to do all of the things you suggest ?  Leave packages in "fragile
languages" alone ?  Or try to do what they can in the knowledge that
there will occasionally be fallout ?

If you don't want help from people who are ignorant, busy, or perhaps
sometimes a bit clumsy, then your response is appropriate.

If you do welcome such help (such as it is), I'm afraid that it will
inevitably sometimes seem a hindrance.  You may want to consider how
to be more encouraging, regardless.

Regards,
Ian.