Re: Release impact of introducing a new archive section?

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 09:45:36AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 21:39 -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > I've now written and submitted all of these patches.
>
> Might it be useful to have this list of names and descriptions in some
> canonical packaged location, such that updating these tools is just a
> version bump on a build dep, or even a runtime dep? Best case maybe it
> would be possible to arrange for it to be a simple binNMU.
>
> (my first thought was a canonical online location, but these tools may
> not want that at runtime and can't rely on it at build time, but maybe
> that should be the source used for the package)

Packaging this data (section names, short descriptions, and long
descriptions) seems like a great idea.  Ideally, packages would have a
Depends on this and use the data at runtime, rather than using a
Build-Depends and compiling it in.  With some care, such a package could
also serve as the basis for the descriptions on packages.debian.org.

- Josh Triplett