Re: Release impact of introducing a new archive section?

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:44:15 -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:

> > While you are in there, there is #816693, also I'm unsure (and offline
> > atm) how many perl6 packages we currently have.
> As far as I can tell, we have 2 such packages: perl6 and perl6-panda.

See my other mail.

> We have several packages named libperl6-*, but reading their
> descriptions, they actually provide modules for perl5 that emulate perl6
> functionality, so the package names seem incorrect.

No. perl5 modules named FOO::BAR are packages as libFOO-BAR-perl, and
in this case we have perl5 modules named Perl6::Something, so this
naming just follows the Debian Perl Policy, even if it looks a bit
strange.

Perl6 packages are/will be named perl6-*.

> Python 2 and 3 packages both use the "python" section, and distinguish
> packages by package name (python-* versus python3-*); might it make
> sense to just use the "perl" section, and distinguish modules for perl5
> versus perl6 by package name?

I don't think so. perl5 and perl6 are "sister languages" but you
can't run perl5 code under perl6 or vice versa (ignoring some fancy
hacks) and you can't build a perl5 and perl6 variant from the same
source etc.

In my understanding, python3 is, despite some incompatibilities, the
successor / next version of python(2); perl 6 is a new language from
the same family, but not the next version/successor of perl5.

Cheers,
gregor, cc'ing the knowledegable people :)

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
   `-   NP: Sting: Englishman in New York