Re: What happened to the idea of using migrations and coordinated uploads when updating packages that has many reverse dependencies?

Hi Pirate,

On 05-12-16 06:58, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> When many maintainers do this breaking updates without consulting
> maintainers of reverse dependencies (update of jquery to version 3 broke
> diaspora), it is seriously demotivating to maintain large packages like
> gitlab and diaspora. There will be many to break but not many to help
> fix. It took years of work to bring these packages to their current
> state and having to fix these issues at the last moment of a release is
> not fun.

What we need is improved handling of transitions in the JavaScript area
of our archive. Having jquery (and jquery-ui) not updated for stretch,
was IMHO also not an option. But these kind of thing need to trigger
proper transitions, like we do for libraries.

I believe that jquery was believed to be backwards compatible (at least
that is what I understood from the logs). I felt that I had to fix the
jquery-ui situation before stretch, mostly because the old package
wasn't build from source. I could have filed an RC bug about that but I
believe the maintainer isn't active in Debian these days, so that
wouldn't be a great solution. I decided to fix the package myself and
take the blame.... So I am taking the blame here and now. I didn't
realize how fragile the JavaScript interface in our archive is.

Sorry, and to prevent further damage, I'll not touch existing JavaScript
packages again.

Paul