Re: OpenSSL 1.1.0

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: OpenSSL 1.1.0"):
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: OpenSSL 1.1.0"):
> > Lots of people have posted in this thread that they see problems with
> > our current approach to the openssl transition.
> >
> > Do the openssl maintainers have an response ?
> In the absence of input from the openssl maintainers, I would like to
> ask the Release Team's opinion.

I tried to find previous opinions of the release team by reading the
transition bug #827061.

I was not able to find the message where the release team gave
permission for the upload of openssl 1.1.x (in particular, the new
version of libssl-dev) to unstable, that started the transition.  Can
someone point me to the formal instruction to upload to unstable ?  Or
was permission granted by irc or something ?

The most recent message I can find from a release team member in that
bug report is:
   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827061#944
That does seem to suggest that in late October the release team had
more or less decided to go ahead.

Reading that bug I think it's a shame that we didn't manage to
effectively identify the issues we've now discussed here on -devel
earlier, despite Kurt's several messages to d-d-a.

Ian.