Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

Am 07.11.2016 um 14:48 schrieb Felipe Sateler:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 18:47:28 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> To solve the issue and provide security updates by default, I'm
>> proposing that we should switch to installing unattended-upgrades by
>> default (and enabling it too) *unless* something else in the
>> installation is already expected to deal with security updates.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Is there a way to mark network connections as "expensive", and thus u-a
> does nothing if only connected via that?
>
> It would be very annoying to have packages automatically downloaded when
> tethering my phone connection.

NetworkManager (since 1.0.6) exposes the information whether a
connection is metered.

See
https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2015/08/27/networkmanager-1-0-6-brings-metered-connections-api-and-more/

This can be set explicitly by the user, e.g. for a WiFi connection.

Maybe u-a could query that information?

That said, I read Steve's proposal to install u-a only for cloud-images.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?