Re: Road to Stretch: let's stop increasing major version number in critical libraries at this point

On 11/05/2016 04:07 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 11:14:02AM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Finally, with the above examples as illustration (and please, these
>> aren't attacks in any way...), I guess what I'm trying to say here is:
>>
>> While disruptive changes are necessary evils so we upgrade everything to
>> the latest version, I would like the Stretch freeze to be as short as
>> possible. Therefore, I'd prefer if my DD friends were holding on
>> upgrading to (non bugfix only) new upstream releases of libraries.
>
> as announced many months ago, the transiontion freeze is today (sic).
>
> This is exactly to ensure that no new disruptive library changes can
> be started after today.

If only all maintainers would coordinate their transitions, too many
unfortunately don't. And those are unlikely read Thomas' plea either, so
disruptive library changes caused by uncoordinated transitions are
unfortunately still likely to happen.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--