Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 06:47:28PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm in Seattle for the Debian Cloud sprint and it's going really
> well. I'll post a report in a few days summarising what we've
> done. But, in the meantime, there's something that has come up which I
> think merits wider discussion.

I work on a large managed hosting provider, our images, vm and dedicated
servers have unattended-updates or yum-cron by default.

Some customers choose to disable it, when a cluster is built it is disabled as well,
but a large percentage of our customers (>90%) have auto updates running every night.
Kernel updates are disabled, mostly to avoid filing up /boot on old servers,
and because we don't reboot automatically.

I'm not going to say it never failed but the failure ratio is very
very small

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: https://keybase.io/gfa