Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not starting on #!

On November 4, 2016 5:01:31 PM EDT, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:22:02PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>Hi Ralf,
>
>> in the Colis project (which aims at analyzing maintainer scripts) we
>> found 39 maintainer scripts in stable which do not start on #!. The
>> list is attached. Policy 6.1 says about maintainer scripts:
>>
>>   if they are scripts (which is recommended), they must start with
>the
>>   usual #! convention.
>>
>> Any objection against filing bugs against the offending packages?
>Since
>> policy says "must", severity=serious would be in order, right?
>
>why do you want to file the bugs against stable?
>
>It is clear that any such bugs in unstable/testing should be fixed,
>and they are easy to fix. IMHO severity serious is appropriate.
>
>Are they causing any actual problems in jessie, or do the scripts
>happen to work fine despite this bug?
>
>I am asking since it is not clear to me whether this issue is worth
>stable updates for > 10 packages.

The validity of the bug and if it's worth fixing the bug are completely separate questions.  If the bug applies to the stable version, then that's how it should be filled.

We shouldn't try to hide the problem by artificially avoiding including stable.

Scott K