Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not starting on #!

On 2016-11-04 21:22 +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the Colis project (which aims at analyzing maintainer scripts) we
> found 39 maintainer scripts in stable which do not start on #!. The
> list is attached. Policy 6.1 says about maintainer scripts:
>
>   if they are scripts (which is recommended), they must start with the
>   usual #! convention.
>
> Any objection against filing bugs against the offending packages?

No, but I think you should also file a wishlist bug for lintian to
detect such broken packages.

> Since policy says "must", severity=serious would be in order, right?

Maybe, but I don't think it's worth to fix such bugs in stable.  Since
dpkg calls maintainer scripts via execvp(3), the missing shebang does
not really have bad consequences as they end up being run by /bin/sh
anyway.

Cheers,
       Sven