DEP14 policy for two dots

[ Raphael, apologies for sending twice, had a error in the headers in
the prior one ]

Not sure exactly where to ask this better than debian-devel, but I am
working on an importer for the Ubuntu Server team which parses published
versions of source packages in Debian and Ubuntu. I ran into an issue
today where there is a published version of src:pcre3 with version
'8.30..2'. `man git-check-ref-format` says that reference names "cannot
have two consecutive dots ..  anywhere." DEP14 specifies appropriate
substitutions for : and ~, but it seems like .. should also be accounted
for so I can correctly tag historic versions?

Thanks,
Nish

--
Nishanth Aravamudan