Re: Opt out style recommends

Håkon Alstadheim <hakon@alstadheim.priv.no> writes:
> Den 08. april 2016 19:31, skrev Josh Triplett:
>> emacs24-common Recommends: emacs24-el
>>
>> I don't think all but the most unusual configurations need the elisp
>> source of the functionality already provided by the main emacs24
>> package.  Emacs/elisp developers will want this.
>>

> There is often two sides to such arguments:
> - An editor needs a scripting and configuration language. emacs has
> elisp. If you want to be able to see what knobs are available for
> adjusting, you look at the source. When your scripts have errors, you
> want to be able to view source to find out what you did wrong.

As you describe it, the source file have a similar function as the debug
files for a library, which are (for a good reason) also not set as
Recommends.

Emacs (and many of its lisp libraries) are quite stable today; so in the
rare case of an error, you could just add the source later and re-run
the problem.

> - If you will never be scripting emacs, you are better off with pico or
> nano as an editor.

I use emacs since >20 years, and love it. However, I *very* rarely do
emacs scripting, and almost never outside of some configuration. Sorry,
I don't see this as an argument.

To do scripting, you also usually don't need the sources.

For me, the lisp source are really unused, and I think that I am not a
rare, exceptional case.

Best regards

Ole