Re: Renaming the Debian Project

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 02:03:40PM -0800, benjamin barber wrote:
> > It's unfortunate that Debian is named after Debra and Ian, because having
> > the project named after a white supremacist, who used his ex-wifes name as
> > an trophy.
>
> I agree in whole with the responses of my fellow developers Dimitri and
> Russ.  I also believe, because the Internet never forgets, that this
> libelous accusation needs to be addressed directly.

Thanks for responding to libel with information.

> In the time leading up to Ian's death, he posted on his now-deleted
> twitter account about an altercation with police.

To be clear, there is reasonable doubt those posts were made by him
<URL:http://news.softpedia.com/news/founder-of-debian-threatens-suicide-on-twitter-and-police-abuse-allegedly-498205.shtml>,
since they aren't consonant with his previous postings, and are quite
close to the time of his death.

If, as seems plausible, it turns out those posts were not made by Ian
Murdock, the libelous accusations that started this thread will lack all
substance in fact.

--
 \          “A hundred times every day I remind myself that […] I must |
  `\       exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have |