Re: How shall I report a bug in the .deb packaging itself?

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 04:57:39PM +0100, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> Hi Julian
>
> On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 16:13 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I also wrote I am thinking about adding some kind of apt revert command
> > that allows you to revert entries from apt's history.log, which would allow
> > you to undo install commands.
> That will be really a great feature. I was always upset that apt(itude) does not
> have this feature. I was even thinking about a feature that allows you to
> recover your system at a certain date based on snapshots.
> The last time I was missing this is today. I updated ssh and suddenly I could
> not access anymore my github account due to my key was rejected. I would loved
> to aptitude revert instead of doing this manually.

In a lot of cases it won't work though. For example, reverting an
upgrade is formally unsupported (so you'd need to answer yes to
some warnings), and in any case, the old versions and packages
still need to be available in your sources. Actually, anything
where something other than an install happened (whether remove
or upgrade) is a bit flaky.

A better option is to use snapshotting on the file system.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.