Re: How shall I report a bug in the .deb packaging itself?

Julian Andres Klode:
autoremove will remove all packages that no other package
PreDepends, Depends, Recommends, or Suggests.

Probably the problem is the latest.

Since I did not install other package apart from cortina, probably what is holding back gdm is a package already present in the system. Hold as suggested.

Because the default behaviour is to automatically install recommended packages but not suggested ones, that is what is causing the mismatch.

The expected behaviour is autoremove to keep packages from the sets that will install automatically, and to remove the rest. So to depend on the system configuration.