Re: Can I suppress automatic creation of -dbgsym packages?

Dirk Eddelbuettel:

> Hi all,
>
> I was just updating one of my several dozen r-cran-* packages. These all use
> the same (source) r-cran.mk script shipped with the main R packages.
>
> And now all of sudden it wants to build a -dbgsym package.
>
> That may not be such a good idea for the several hundred r-cran-* packages.
> I have been looking around the Deverloper Reference and Wiki (plus Google
> searches) but not found a way to suppress this.  What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Please have a look at [1].  Though if your reason for disabling them are:

 * Upload speed / personal bandwidth costs.
   - Then please consider using "source-only" (or arch:all+source)
     uploads, which is unaffected and keeps the dbgsym.

 * That they take up a lot of mirror space etc.
   - Then please keep in mind that they are off-loaded to a separate
     mirror network and therefore will not burden users / developers
     except those who explicitly enable them.

 * If you have other concerns with them, please let me know. :)

At the same time, the dbgsym packages can be used to assist debugging
your packages or retracing coredumps.  They will also be available from
snapshot.debian.org, so you can retrace coredumps from previous uploads
as long as they had a dbgsym package.

~Niels

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/12/msg00262.html