Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

* David Kalnischkies <david@kalnischkies.de> [151208 07:36]:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:32:52AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Marvin Renich
> > > * Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> [151207 00:17]:

> > > I set Acquire::Pdiffs::FileLimit "3"; and have been much happier.  Why
> > > this (or something near this) wasn't the default from the start, I don't
> > > know.  The current default is an extremely poor choice.  Perhaps someone
> > > should file a bug (serverity critical :-P) to get the default changed.
>
> I somehow can't believe that downloading a few kilobytes split into
> multiple files is slower than downloading the entire file and I said

Okay, if pdiff handling has improved considerably since it was first
released, this could be true.  I have had FileLimit in my config since
soon after I first saw the feature.  All I know is that when I first saw
this, my updates started taking considerably longer, and the time was
spent mostly "connecting to...", not downloading.  I saw somebody
suggest FileLimit, tried it, and my update time reverted back to where
it had been, perhaps even less.  (My laptop is the only machine I update
daily; I have several other machines that are updated much less
frequently, and my experience with pdiffs was across the board.)

I never meant to say that pdiffs is not a good feature.  On the
contrary, I think it is great.  My experience, though, was that too many
pdiffs took longer elapsed time than downloading the original file.

And thanks go to you and the rest of the apt team for all the work you
do to make apt better, by far, than any other distribution's packaging
system.

...Marvin