Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I'm not sure I'm happy about such an important change in the behavior of
> the core binary of one package being (able to be) made by an update to a
> completely different package, and I certainly wouldn't have been happy
> to discover it after the fact by seeing 'apt-get update' do something
> unexpected - but there's not much I can do about it...

I'm guessing you weren't previously familiar with apt's really nice hook
system?  It's much more natural to expect this sort of thing to be
possible if you've run across the hooks before, and if you've not looked
at them, it might be worth your time at some point.  You can do all sorts
of pretty awesome stuff.  That's one of the ways etckeeper integrates with
apt, for instance.