Re: sid on openvz

Hi Aurélien,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 10:06:11AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On 2015-12-03 17:33, James Cloos wrote:
> > The latest glibc update breaks most sid installs on (typically leased)
> > openvz platforms because it requires a newer kernel version that most
> > openvz vendors advertize.

> > Most openvz run on kernels based on 2.6.32, often with significant
> > updates.  These platforms are an important segment, given how affordable
> > they are.  And Debian "stable" is often too archaic for many needs which
> > fit nicely on a small inexpensive server.

> If you consider Debian "stable" as too archaic, I am missing words to
> qualify a 2.6.32 kernel released in 2009. Prehistoric maybe?

I was going to write something similar, with references to what other
distributions are shipping; but in the course of investigating, I found that
RHEL7 and SLES11 both shipped 2.6.32 kernels that are supported until 2020
and 2019 respectively.

I don't think you have any obligation to support sid chroots on top of these
OSes - it still runs on the oldest supported Ubuntu LTS release, so that's
fine with me ;) - but I thought it was a fact worth mentioning.  Yes, these
kernels are archaic, but they're (unfortunately) not obsolete in all
contexts.