How to read mail addressed to "root" from "root" user?

I would like to be able to read mail, which is addressed to "root" as "root" user. When I configured exim4-config, I have set "root" as user, which all the mail sent to "root" will be forwarded to. But now all the mail sent to root comes to /var/mail/mail, and when I run "mail" as root, I get message: No mail for root. Could you please tell me, what should I do, if I want to read root's mail from root account?
Thank you.
--
Yours sincerely, Jayson Willson