Re: Summary of the DebConf firmware discussion

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 01:15:21PM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> I think this needs to be additional subsets of non-free rather than
> splitting up non-free, for backwards compatibility and other reasons.
> This is why I prefer non-free/firmware over non-free-firmware for
> naming these.

Agreed.  It would make clear that with this change we are actually
"just" allowing our users to selectively enable parts of non-free,
rather than forcing them to enable all-or-nothing.  Also, it would allow
the installer to only enable the relevant sub-section based on hardware
detection, rather than opening the flood gates of the whole non-free.

(I don't know how complex this would be to implement in dak though :-/,
because we want a package uploaded to non-free/firmware to show up both
in non-free/firmware and in non-free.)

> One per use-case probably? I can think of at least these possibilities
> based on a couple of my old blog posts:
>
> non-free/docs
> non-free/firmware
> non-free/drivers
> non-free/web
> non-free/comm
> non-free/formats
> non-free/apps
>
> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2011/09/18/revisiting-personal-software-freedom/
> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2009/09/19/personal-software-freedom/

Thanks for these references, very useful!

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .