Re: system upgrade by systemd

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 05:19:18 +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I never wanted to execute offline-updates. So seeing those updates
> proves that something triggered it, right?

Having just read this entire thread, and been affected by this once, it
occurs to me that the likely answer has been offered, but I suspect you
may have thought Matthias' reference to “GNOME Software” to be a generic
answer (apologies if I'm wrong). But in fact the name of the relevant
package is gnome-software.

When gnome-software is installed, it runs as a service in the user's
desktop session by default and periodically queries PackageKit for
updates. If the setting org.gnome.software/download-updates is enabled
(the default is enabled), Software asks PackageKit to download updates
in the background.

When updates have been “prepared” by this interaction, the normal
gnome-shell shutdown dialog will show the aforementioned checkbox. At
least with my most recent testing, it is checked by default.

I can reproduce this by commanding PackageKit with

  pkcon refresh
  pkcon update --only-download

and observe the gnome-shell shutdown prompt now has the checkbox
suggesting to “Install pending software updates” (assuming there are
updates).

Is this enough to go on to move this to a report against gnome-software?

Cheers,

--
mike