Re: so long and thanks for all the fish

Joey,

Am Freitag, 7. November 2014, 17:04:10 schrieb Joey Hess:
> It's become abundantly clear that this is no longer the project I
> originally joined in 1996. We've made some good things, and I wish
> everyone well, but I'm out.

I am sad from reading this. I do not know you as a person, except from some of
your blog entries. But its abundantly clear what contribution you made, what
amount energy you put into the project. Which makes this even more saddening
cause I imagine it has been a big reason for you to leave, as I bet with that
much energy you have put it in, you wouldn´t leave on a minor issue.

Its your decision, although I´d really appreciate if you reconsider after a
while.

Not knowing the context of your words as I just maintain a few packages that I
get sponsored into the archive and follow lists on a irregular basis I wonder…

what was the reason? What can Debian as a project and as a community learn
from it?

I am highly concerned by the state of discussions in Debian triggered by the
systemd integration – I have never ever seen such a harsh, long and bitter
discussion in Debian. I was concerned so much that I even tried to channel
some of the concern upstream, but it seems I was not able to bring across that
sometimes its not just all technical, but there is more to it – and keeping
discussions to a sole technical level sometimes doesn´t work out when a lot of
emotions are involved. But I don´t even know whether you leaving has to do
anything with that process.

So… if at some time… maybe not now, maybe later… I would appreciate if you
share your reasons for leaving, not for accusing someone, but just from how
you felt about things for those who remain with the project to learn from it.
It may be easier to do this with a little time in between.

Best,