Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 17:56 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here my points about using Gnome 3.12:
>
> Gnome 3.12 depends on 3D video drivers or a emulation of that. In Gnome
> 3.4 (Wheezy) there was a "fallback mode", but that's gone. There is now
> something called "GNOME Classic" but that still needs 3D drivers. It's
> only more "classic" with menu's etc.
>
> There is something called LLVMpipe, it's a software fallback when there
> is no 3D video driver. I don't know how well it works. Maybe here is
> somebody with more information?  Is it automatically used in Debian,
> when the videocard is not supported? How does it work on older machines?

It is used automatically.

[...]
> For some hardware there are no 3D drivers. E.g. in server-boards there
> are most of the time very poor GPU's. I don't use a graphical
> environment on servers myself most of the time, but I think many people
> do. Not sure LLVMpipe is really useable.

It is.

> Another point is desktop sharing. I use X2go and it does not work with
> Gnome in 3D mode. Is here somebody who can tell me if VNC or RDP or
> something else works? I must say that I don't like VNC, because it's
> very slow. X2go is really fast.
>
> Another point are virtual machines. Does Gnome 3.12 work fine inside
> many virtual machines?
[...]

It works for me in a KVM/QEMU VM with cirrus emulation.  That has no 3D
acceleration, and I am viewing the display with VNC.  As I understand
it, the composition and animation effects are simplified when LLVMpipe
is being used, so it is reasonably responsive.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.