About the TC vote on libpam-systemd

I'd like to apologize to the systemd maintainer team, and to Tollef in
particular for my TC vote on the libpam-systemd bug.

The discussion on this issue was an excellent model of the Debian
community at work:

Josh Triplett (who is a systemd proponent although not a member of the
Debian systemd team) raised some salient technical concerns about the
effect of the proposed change, and Christian Seiler did a bunch of
research to answer them.

The end result of this collaboration was that all agreed that the
proposed solution was a good choice for Debian, with Josh writing:

> I don't see any obvious further steps that need to occur other than
> flipping the dependency around.  (It might be a good idea for the
> libpam-systemd dependency to bump its versioned dependency on
> systemd-shim to (>= 8-4), but that's up to the libpam-systemd
> maintainers.)

What should have happened at this point was to re-engage with the Debian
systemd team and get them to also review the discussion. We really did
learn new things about what the effect of this change would be. One way
would have been to simply offer the systemd maintainers advice under
§6.1.5, knowing that they would act in good faith on it.

--
keith.packard@intel.com