Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Matthias Urlichs writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> This DEP describes an integrated workflow.

That's true right now.  But I think a document called `Recommended
layout for Git packaging repositories' ought to cover the reasonable
possibilties which are currently in use.

> This DEP does not say anything about any sort of divided workflow, other
> than to implicitly (un?intentionally?) discourage its use by omission.

I think that implicit discouragement is a problem.  It /could/ be
solved by Raphael retitling his document and changing the intro, so
that the restricted scope is clear.

But I think it would be better to have a single document which
contains the different alternatives.

> Thus, please don't try to shoehorn a divided workflow into this DEP.
> Write your own.

I disagree with half of this but agree with the other half.
I think that the divided workflow should be documented in this DEP.

But I agree that those who like the divided workflow should be the
ones to write it up.  I see that Simon (for example) is actively
engaging in the discussion.

Simon, would you care to write up a concrete text documenting the
conventional divided layouts ?  Raphael, I guess you have the DEP in
git.  Where's the repo ? Wait, what, it's in the webtree in ...
is that still CVS ?

Ian.