Re: Let's abandon debian-devel.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:25:35PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after unsubscribing from debian-vote, I had a bit of a thought about
> debian-devel, which is hard to follow now, and suddenly I saw something very
> clear.  This year's freeze seems of an excellent quality and promises to be
> brief.  Is that thanks to debian-devel ?  Not much.  Excellent work is being
> done on the Installer and is that thanks to debian-devel ?  Not much.  In 2010
> when I was candidate to become DPL, I wrote that Debian was in growth crisis.
> I think that it never has been so true.  Places like debian-devel, which can be
> instrumental in smaller projects, are very toxic in larger ones.

Yeah. I agree. I've been on VAC in life chaos (see d-private mail), and
not reading the devel threads has been pretty great. I think I might do
more of not reading it.

> >From now on I will try to see if I can give to Debian the same quality of
> contribution without being subscribed to debian-devel.  And I invite you to
> think about it and *not* to discuss it on this list.

+1

> With most of the work done on topic mailing lists, trolls lose the lever effect
> they have when feasting on debian-devel or debian-vote.  Let's make our project
> stronger by reducing thr attack surface for troublemakers.

+1

A lack of communication and collaboration is really bad, but right now
I'm getting *neither* in -devel. Until that changes, I think I'm with
plessy.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Charles Plessy
> Debian Med packaging team,
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med
> Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87