Re: logcheck rules for systemd

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> Am 28.08.2014 13:52, schrieb Chris Boot:

>> You may find it easier to bundle the logcheck rules with systemd itself
>> rather than as part of logcheck-database. Debhelper has a
>> dh_installlogcheck tool that you may find useful. In my opinion,
>> packaging the logcheck rules with the program that generates the log
>> messages makes more sense, as the rules can be more easily kept up to
>> date with the generating program.

+1.  Usually this makes more sense.

> I'm not sure if anyone in the systemd team is actively using logcheck, I
> don't. So from my pov I'd prefer if it was maintained by someone who
> actually does.

I use logcheck, and I'm happy to submit wishlist bugs when things change
that I notice.  That still requires that you all apply new filter rules,
but hopefully that shouldn't be too much work.

> And do we really want to install those logcheck rules files (conffiles)
> on everyones system, if only a small percentage of users actually
> install logcheck.

Lots of other packages already do, and the logcheck maintainers had been
pushing that as best practices.  The files aren't particularly large.