Re: bits from the DPL -- mid-April to mid-August 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:28:11AM -0700, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Debian logo now registered as a trademark

> Thanks to the work of the Debian trademark team and the Software Freedom
> Law Center (SFLC), the Debian logo is now officially registered as a
> trademark, as can be seen on [1].

> [1] http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=86037470

This is a much welcome surprise.  Kudos to everyone involved in making this
happen at last. :)

> Assets - meetings, sprints, conferences
> =======================================

> DebConf'15 kick-off meeting
> ---------------------------
> The DebConf'15 team organized a kick-off meeting on May 3rd in Heidelberg
> (in the to-be DC15 venue). It gathered 17 members of the team.  See [1]
> for details.
> Cost for Debian: 1700€

> [1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf15/Germany/KickoffMeeting

Does this come out of the DebConf15 budget?

> Tails Hackfest
> --------------
<snip>
> Cost for Debian: 5000€

> systemd + GNOME sprint
> ----------------------
<snip>
> Cost for Debian: 2000€

> bootstrap sprint
> ----------------
<snip>
> Cost for Debian: 3000€

> DebianMed sprint
> ----------------
<snip>
> Amount allocated: 1600€ (if 4 DD attend) or 2000€ (if 5 DD)

> Travel sponsorship for GSOC students at DebConf'14
> In order to enable our GSOC students to attend DebConf'14, I
> authorized the use of $6138. This comes in addition to Google's
> sponsoring of the travel for $500 per student.

> MiniDebConf India
> -----------------
> A MiniDebConf is being organized in India on October 17-18.
> Details: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2014/Kollam
> I authorized the use of 4500€, to help fund the travel of Debian
> contributors and speakers to the event.

Does this list of expenses mean that you now have a good overview of
Debian's cash flow?  In April, I understood that this was a major
outstanding problem.  I'm happy to see that we are spending Debian money on
useful sprints and events; I would be happier to have oversight of the
overall Debian balance sheet.

Thanks,