Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

Hi,

> I do think that this is quite common, and my preferred way of doing
> things. It is easy for newcomers to handle, easy for me to handle, no
> need to learn a lot of git specific tools or helpers, you can mostly
> ignore git if you want to.
>
> I've a couple of times tried to get myself to actually learn various of
> these newfangled tools like git-buildpackaeg and such, and each time I
> end up feeling they get much more in my way that they actually help me.

Being a newcomer to packaging, I have to disagree on this. I use gbp for
my packages and found, so far, no other way of dealing with packages
that's even remotely as convenient. In particular, handling the upstream
tarball and whatever is necessary when there's a new upstream version is
an absolute no-brainer.
I was not aware of got-overlay until recently, maybe that helps to make
the debian/-only structure more usable. But for all I'm concerned, git
is not helping at all here, it's like dealing with a "raw" package
without any helper.

Kind regards
Ralf