Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 01:44:15PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 17, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> > Please. The attitute of requiring Debian maintainers to modify
> > upstream software instead of having simple two-line extension to an
> > init script is really unfriendly. Why do only systemd friends keep
> > recommending this?
> Maybe because the others do not care enough about improving software
> quality.

Contrary to the views of the systemd authors, "software quality" is not some
abstract ideal that exists in a vacuum.  Software's quality is judged by how
well it meets the needs of users, which absolutely includes the requirement
that it *work smoothly across upgrades*.

It's one thing to discourage the use of /etc/default files, which I agree
are a lousy convention that should be deprecated.  It's quite another to
completely drop admins' settings on the floor on upgrade, or to regard the
upgrade issues as "somebody else's problem" (more specifically,
downstreams').