Re: Uploading python-xstatic-* packages in Debian

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2014-08-14 09:26:05)
> Note that the XStatic python modules aren't just meta packages, they
> also offer a mechanism for a Python script to discover where to find a
> given static file in the system (which really, isn't obvious, as the
> Debian archive is a bit messy in this regard, especially when dealing
> with static files that aren't javascript like .css or .less files).

You are quite welcome to propose tp relevant teams streamlining which
could ease your packaging.  A cleanup might take time to coordinate, and
agreeing on tidying the structure may take time too, but that shouldn't
discourage you from initiating that process :-)

I recommend to discuss that in those smaller teams rather than here.

> For some XStatic packages, the embedded static files are not present
> in Debian. That is the case for example with python-xstatic-hogan,
> python-xstatic-jasmine, or python-xstatic-bootstrap-scss. For the
> above 3 packages, the upstream source code is part of a much larger
> project.

Please don't embed reusable non-Python code into Python-specific
packages - then you end up with same problem as you ran into yourself
with ruby-bootstrap-sass (see right below).  Instead, package (or
request others like the Javascript ot Sass team) to package those which
you need.

> See for example bootstrap-scss, which comes with a huge Ruby
> framework. I have no intention to package all of that...

I guess you mean ruby-bootstrap-sass - please see bug#739783.

> As I know very little about packaging of some upstream code (for
> example, I have never maintained ruby or nodejs packages), and that I
> don't need them anyway (I only need a few javascript files from them,
> I will have no use of Ruby or nodejs code), then I decided to *not*
> package the full upstream package, and leave the embedded copy inside
> the python-xstatic-* packages. This is until someone needs the full
> upstream package, at which point I will remove the embedded copy, and
> point to the relevant files inside the recently uploaded package.

Please don't postpone proper packaging until others eventually steps up.

- Jonas