Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

On Jo, 17 iul 14, 03:17:35, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2014-07-16 14:28:00 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:36:32AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > I do that too. I haven't seen any official documentation saying that
> > > this is a bad thing to do.
> >
> > aptitude actively warns against it as highlighted in this thread.
>
> Wrong! I purge removed packages almost all the time with aptitude,
> and I've never seen any warning!

From aptitude(8)

       --purge-unused
       If Aptitude::Delete-Unused is set to “true” (its default), then
       in addition to removing each package that is no longer required a
       by any installed package, aptitude will also purge them, removing
       their configuration files and perhaps other important data. For
       more information about which packages are considered to be
       “unused”, see the section “Managing Automatically Installed
       Packages” in the aptitude reference manual.  THIS OPTION CAN
       CAUSE DATA LOSS! DO NOT USE IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE
       DOING!

       This corresponds to the configuration option
       Aptitude::Purge-Unused.

Yes, this is probably not what you understood as "actively", but this
thread is also not about running 'aptitude purge', but 'full-upgrade',
and if you change the default...

Kind regards,
Andrei