Re: m68k too slow for https? Re: people.debian.org will move from ravel to paradis and become HTTPS only

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:16:01AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> am I getting this right, that there are architectures which are too slow to
> use https??? if so: "wow"...

This seems likely, especially for embedded platforms where power is a
massive constraint.

> (And, if that's the case, I dont't think we should care about those then...
> Debian doesn't run on an 6502 neither ;)

If Debian stops supporting embedded platforms, it stops being a universal
operating system.

I think HTTPS is a good thing, but could we not also have a VHOST named
something like insecure.people.d.o that continued to allow access via plain
HTTP?

It is also possible (not sure about this) that there are countries where
encryption is not permitted and so this would exclude anyone in those
countries from accessing people.d.o's content.

We have provisions in place (iirc) for accepting packages from people in
such countries, we should also have provisions in place for allowing people
in such countries to access people.d.o.

Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me