[Moving forward] copyrighted embedded ICC profiles in images

Hi,

Le 10/05/2014 09:23, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

> I believe it violates DFSG to ship e.g. JFIF or GIF files which contains
> copyright-protected but not freely licensed ICC profiles.

Thanks for raising the issue. Since I (co)maintain a few web related
packages, I started submitting issues upstream and got mostly positive
feedback. Some already fixed the issue [ACK], one has not included the
fix yet [WIP], and one refuses to do so [NO] while others have not yet
replied [WAIT]. The packages I’ve uploaded since the issue has been
raised have been fixed in the archive regardless of upstream feedback.

If the check were to end up in Lintian, it will probably increase
significantly its dependency chain and its run time, so I’m not sure it
will be included soon.

Would it be welcome to investigate the issue on the whole archive (I’ll
follow up on debian-qa to have input on the tools at our disposal to do
so)? If so, I may initiate a MBF about it (and will follow up with a
dd-list before doing so). I’m afraid there will be many affected
packages, and it might be a challenge to get the archive in shape for
Jessie, should these bugs be filled as jessie-ignore (I’ll also follow
up on -relase for more guidance if the release team doesn’t reply until
then)?

In case we need to repack an upstream tarball with an ICC-free
alternative of some files, it would be nice to be able to do it as
easily as we can strip files with the Files-Excluded feature of
uscan/mk-origtargz. I already opened #748474 about it, but feedback
would be welcome (or other proposals, or patches).

ACK:	http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19657
		fixed since 2.6.8.24rc4
	http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/CD/artwork/ulrich-hansen.de-squeeze-cd.png?revision=1.2&view=markup
	http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/CD/artwork/ulrich-hansen.de-squeeze-dvd.png?revision=1.2&view=markup
	https://github.com/firebug/firebug/pull/140
	http://zone.spip.org/trac/spip-zone/changeset/82425/
	http://archives.rezo.net/archives/spip-zone.mbox/VW3XEQOUIXZGO7OO2FD6A2QAUBVFBHQU/
	https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12582
	https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2482
	algobox fixed too (private exchange with upstream)

WIP:	https://github.com/danwent/Perspectives/pull/120

NO:	https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/pull/345
	https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/8627
	https://github.com/owncloud/example-files/pull/1

WAIT:	https://github.com/dompdf/dompdf/pull/827
	https://github.com/tapmodo/Jcrop/pull/149
	https://github.com/jtackaberry/nosquint/pull/142
	https://github.com/RequestPolicy/requestpolicy/pull/431

[ I may have forgotten a pair of issues fixed upstream since I didn’t
  actually kept track before today. ]

Regards

David