Re: systemd-fsck?

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 07:51:37AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >   From: Guido =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= <agx@sigxcpu.org>
>
> >GTK+3 supports themes
>
> GTK/GNOME people have stated numerous times that they do not want
> them.

There's not Debian people and not Gtk+/GNOME people, this current
thread shows this perfectly. And if nobody wanted themes they'd got
removed with Gtk+3, not enhanced and blogged about by Gtk+ upstream:

http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/05/06/tweaking-a-the-gtk-theme-using-css/

> >. This
> >> is a perfectly fine job for a derivate or Pure Blend: to provide a
> >> polished system that serves one use case well.
> >
> >Proper integration certainly belongs into Debian or did we become a
> >supermarket:
>
> Proper integration of components: yes. That is the _job_ of a distro.
>
> Integration of some components at the cost of disabling the freedom
> of users to choose a different free component that also does the
> job,

It's just that the opinion about "the job" differ so widely.

> and at the cost of removing some users' use cases: no. That is not
> the job of a "Univeral OS". So-called Enterprise distributions can
> do that, sure. Downstreams and pure blends, too. But not Debian.

Fortunately that's not you or me to decide:

   https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-2
   https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-3

I'm having a hard time to see use cases go away. /etc/init.d/$foo is
not a use case it's a pattern that can easily be emulated or even be
provided by a package that creates wrappers for systemd units.
Cheers,
 -- Guido