Re: systemd-fsck?

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [140513 18:21]:
> > We would be wise to make the last non-systemd release an LTS one so that
> > enterprise users can stay on that release until the systems these
> > installations run are retired.
>
> You're aware, right, that my primary background is with enterprise use,
> and I've been doing large-site systems administration for twenty years?
>
> systemd is a godsend with basically no downside for our enterprise use
> cases.  I expect almost no problems across our entire environment, plus,
> as a bonus, the opportunity to replace a bunch of homegrown hacks and
> obscure approaches (such as all our lingering use of daemontools) with
> something supportable, maintainable, and much better-documented.
>
> Upgrading to systemd will be less painful than the sorts of things that we
> have to do with every Debian upgrade.  Particularly PHP changes, which
> always result in at least some heartburn.  It will also be much less
> painful than the Apache 2.4 transition (which I'm also really looking
> forward to, but which will involve way more work for us) and moving to
> Puppet 3.x.  Compared to those, the minor bits of fiddling required to
> make sure systemd works properly is noise.

I agree with all of this 100%.

Figuring out the required changes for UUID names, new HP device names,
the grub1 -> grub2 migration, insserv/dependency based boot, and, as
much as I've seen so far, the switch to systemd as init -- all of this
is just noise, esp. in an enterprise environment where you already
support multiple distributions, which today already ship with different
init systems which are "incompatible" with each other.

Or, to name it in a different way: all those changes are small one
time costs, and sysadmins alreay deal with such things in a mostly
trivial way.

The real issues in an enterprise environment are way higher in the
stack.

I'm also looking forward to systemd to replace various local hacks
(@reboot anyone?), similar to what Russ already said above.

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer