Re: systemd-fsck?

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 07:01:14PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Dependency-based boot, the change to /bin/sh, and UUID-based mounting
>> were all not drop-in replacements by that criteria.

> Note that also none of them were forced on existing installations.  The
> change of /bin/sh to dash (which is what you mean, I presume?) featured
> a debconf prompt which IIRC defaulted to "continue using bash", the
> other two were added in d-i and existing installations were not touched,
> AFAIR.

Right, which I've been arguing for already in this thread.  I don't think
we should force this on upgrades.  There should be a prompt and an
opportunity to not change init systems.

It remains to be seen if we will ship some software with jessie that
requires systemd be running as the init system, or if people will have the
time and resources to provide the necessary interfaces with sysvinit or
other init systems.  I certainly hope the latter is the case, and Steve
felt quite confident it would be, but the work hasn't happened yet, so we
can't be sure we won't end up in that situation.  If that's the case, then
some software may not work if you choose not to run systemd.  But we
should still prompt and not change without the user's permission.