Re: Nftables in jessie?

On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 09:18 +0200, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
> On 8 May 2014 19:16, Frank Bauer <frank.c.bauer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Jessie currently contains linux 3.13, which includes the successor of
> > iptables - nftables.
> > Unfortunately, the userspace tools (nftables) are still missing even in
> > sid/experimental.
> >

> As Vincent Bernat said, is in NEW. Has been in NEW for a month or so.
>
> > Is there a general plan to support nftables in jessie? As the release
> > managers reminded
> > us recently, the freeze will be here in no time. I believe it is essential
> > for users to be able
> > to test this new technology in jessie before fully switching to it in
> > jessie+1.
> >

> Unfortunately, there isn't a 'general plan'.
>
> I mean, the package will be uploaded and maintained. But no talk
> happened about what means having nftables in Debian.
>
> I think the following points may be interesting:
>  * in which state/shape is the nftables framework?
>  * what about the iptables and the compat layer? The next upstream
> release of iptables will, by default, use the nf_tables kernel
> subsystem.

What about it?  Is there a problem?

>  * what about a standard firewall service (like other distros do).
> iptables also lacks of it.

I think there should be a standard host firewall that supports simple
high-level configuration and is installed by default (whether it blocks
anything would have to be a debconf question).

For firewall routers, I don't think we need to pick a default.

>  * Some bugs happened in the Debian kernel package, and the kernel
> currently in Jessie comes without nf_tables enabled [0].
[...]

Well it's fixed in unstable and will be fixed in jessie RSN.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Knowledge is power.  France is bacon.