Re: Alioth tracker

On 11/05/14 18:26, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Daniel Pocock
>
>> On 08/05/14 12:27, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
>>
>>> What is the reason that the processing there is so slow? Is there a way
>>> to change that?
>
> I think it's quite clear and has been for a while that we need more
> active admins for Alioth.
>
>> Other people have had problems with alioth too:
>>
>> - write permissions on VCS directory for new projects
>>
>> - mailing list creation requests waiting for admin approval
>
> Mailing lists are managed through gforge and there's no manual approval
> process that I know of.

When creating a list, it tells me the list will be approved within 6-24
hours

Previously when I created lists, I would receive an email from mailman
some hours later giving me the list password - this is the usual mailman
behavior when the mailman site admin approves a list.  Maybe that is
entirely within mailman and not gforge.

>> Any of these things could help reduce the admin burden, maybe there are
>> other approaches too?
>
> Help fix bugs in fusionforge, hang out in #alioth try to help people and
> we'd be happy to get more people involved.

If people have not already stepped forward to fill these gaps then that
is the very reason why I was suggesting further automation or cutting
back on things like legacy VCS support.

Hopefully the burden of support and the capacity of volunteers will then
converge at a point where it is sustainable.

I'm not criticizing anybody for this situation, nor am I trying to prod
anybody into action - I just feel that if volunteers are limited, it is
better to constrain the scope of the service.