Re: systemd-fsck?

On 05/09/2014 09:48 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> ]] Andrew Shadura

I would tend to agree that with a change this major, even if there's no
"do you want to switch?" question, there should be a big, honking,
sirens-and-klaxons "you are about to make a major change to one of the
fundamental underpinnings of your system!" alert notification.

>>> The default has changed and you chose to accept the defaults when
>>> you upgraded.
>>
>> Changes to the default init system should not affect existing
>> setups.
>
> Were that true, it would be different to how we handle changes in
> other defaults.

If you install Debian with the default desktop environment / window
manager, and then a different default is chosen for the next release,
dist-upgrading to that release will not AFAIK switch you over to the new
default.

I imagine that that's at least in part because which window manager, et
cetera, to use is determined on a per-user basis, whereas the init
system is system-wide. It might still be considered as a potential
counterexample, however.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.