Re: systemd-fsck?

On 9 May 2014 02:42, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to install as little as possible of systemd stuff, and guess
>> what happens: When booting one of the laptops boot starts with:
>> systyemd-fsck <disks>
>
>> Is systemd taking over everything?? How to reduce the number of
>> systemd-* features.
>
> It's a small wrapper around fsck that handles status reporting in a way
> that works well with the journal and with systemd boot-time status
> reporting and takes care of some dbus coordination and whatnot.  I believe
> It's basically the equivalent of all the shell logic in checkroot.sh and
> checkfs.sh.  In other words, well within the mandate for anything that
> handles early boot, replacing shell scripts that were previously provided
> by initscripts.
>
> The actual fsck work is still done by the separate fsck binary, just like
> it always has been.

My only complaint against systemd-fsck at the moment is (poor?)
integration with graphical plymouth themes. I'd like to see:
"Checking disk 2/3... 78% done"
or some such.
Which one can see on desktops & servers with upstart/mountall/plymouth
matched combo.

Any idea if something like that is in the works? Or is working, but
just not setup/configured correctly yet?

systemd-fsck output on server / textual boot is fine, but on the
desktop i'd like to see something prettier.

I guess i can patch systemd-fsck to send user-friendly message updates
to plymouth, but i thought it would be available out of the box.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.