Re: A question about patches for upstream

Le Mon, May 05, 2014 at 08:56:48PM +0200, Bas Wijnen a écrit :

> I'm happy to see that there is consensus anyway that forwarding bugs upstream
> is the task of the maintainer.

Hi all,

being a package maintainer, I am always uncomfortable when I have the
impression that I am considered like a human patch-pushing machine that extends
the impact of mass-scale patch producers.  Luckily it is not happening often,
but please let's take a point of view that is less patch-centric and more
human-centric.

When the first mass rebuilds with GCC and porting issues came to Debian, I was
very impressed.  Years later it became a routine and I sometimes feel that I am
pressed by a machine.  There is not much apparent coordination with the other
distributions (not our derivatives) that also conduce such large screens.
Especially for the GCC updates, it sometimes happens that if I do nothing,
Fedora will do the same screen, send patches Upstream and I will only have to
package a new upstream release as usual.  Why don't we start to share the
workload ?  It seems to be a race condition with a lot of duplicated work.  Not
to mention when Upstream himself follows the evolution of the toolchain.  Can't
we have a GCC foundation that takes care of this ?  I will be happy to donate
regularly.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy