Re: A question about patches for upstream

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 05:36:53PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I cannot imagine *any* example of a bug reported reported according to
> guidelines being a waste of time.
>
> Can you provide examples of that kind of response?

I remember it happening only once, and it was quite a while ago.  I can't
remember for which package it was, so I can't find a link.  I'm happy to see
that there is consensus anyway that forwarding bugs upstream is the task of the
maintainer.

Which means that if the maintainer is unable to do that, the response "please
forward this upstream" should be interpreted (and perhaps more clearly written)
as "sorry I don't have time, this is how you can try to make things happen
yourself".

Obviously, if the reporter wants to actively help solving the issue, sending it
upstream him/herself is a good idea, and it is good for the maintainer to
suggest this when it seems appropriate.

Thanks,
Bas