Re: Point 1 of Social Contract

On 04/05/2014 14:24, Solal wrote:
> [GR2004-2] have nothing to do with it.
> My proprosition is just warn about proprietary software dangers, but
> users would still install non-free software from repositories, get help
> from developers, etc. But they are warned.
>
> Le 04/05/2014 14:20, Jean-Christophe Dubacq a écrit :
>> On 04/05/2014 13:59, Solal wrote:
>>> I think we shouldn't support proprietary software creaters, and we
>>> should warn proprietary software users about proprietary software
>>> unethicality (this does not mean that we will not help users proprietary
>>> software but just that we warn of dangers. howewer, we will not help
>>> proprietary software creaters).
>>>
>>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> This is your idea. However, as shown by [GR2004-2], this is not the
>> opinion of the project.
>>
>> [GR2004-2]: http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002

Please do not top-post if possible.

I'd rather not annoy our users more than the current warning about
enabling non-free at install time. However, this warning may be
rewritten if the project feels it is not informative enough.

However, your proposition also has the sentence "we shouldn't support
proprietary software creaters". This is subject to many interpretations.
The first interpretation that comes to my mind is in contradiction with
point 5 of the Debian social contract (for example in "Thus, although
non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use and
provide infrastructure for non-free packages").

As for other interpretations, the project generally does not distinguish
between uses of the software, be it for creating free software, curing
cancer, being evil, or worse: creating non-free software. Not supporting
proprietary software creaters would probably, in some of these
interpretations, require considering not allowing Debian to be used for
non-free software, which would bar us from using almost all currently
DFSG-free software. Is that what you meant by "we shouldn't support
proprietary software creaters"? Because providing them our wonderful
distribution is supporting them.

Sincerely,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq