Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

previously on this list Matthias Urlichs contributed:

> > discussion. No, we should not depend on it for Debian; but we should
> > provide the interface for system administrators who wish to use it,
> > because it is not Debian's place to tell them that they cannot use that
> > interface.
> >
> It's not our place to tell people that they _cannot_ use it, but it's a
> good place to add a "consider writing a .service file if you start daemons
> here; read the XXX manpages to learn more".

I agree but more than that why should I waste my time, I have no
intention of ever writing a .service file or anything much longer than
one-liners else I'd say that something is wrong in one of a few places
and most likely the program design.

I get the plus of my scripts running on any system, even Windows or a c
loop embedded device.

Plus I stop services with the likes of pkill as when service stop fails
I would prefer to know how anyway and can use them on any system or with
any favourite of myself or others whether it's monit, nagios etc. etc.
or any shell.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)