Re: Virtual "fizmo" package

On Vi, 07 feb 14, 19:22:06, Christoph Ender wrote:

> I’m currently thinking about creating a virtual package for "fizmo". This
> was a single package in squeeze, got split up into "fizmo-ncursesw" and
> "fizmo-console" in wheezy, keeping a transitional "fizmo" package in
> oldlibs (which pulled in fizmo-ncursesw so far). "fizmo-sdl" is still in
> beta but might be released this year.
>
> I'd like to drop the transitional "fizmo" package for the jessie release
> and provide a virtual package of the same name instead (this will give
> people trying to install fizmo give at least a clue why the package
> apparently isn't there anymore and the alternatives system looks like a
> good way for managing a link to the installed binary).

I don't think this is very nice to users who would do
'apt-get install fizmo':

root@sid:~# LANG=C apt-get install mailx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package mailx is a virtual package provided by:
  mailutils 1:2.99.98-1.1
  heirloom-mailx 12.5-2
  bsd-mailx 8.1.2-0.20131005cvs-1
You should explicitly select one to install.

E: Package 'mailx' has no installation candidate
root@sid:~# apt-get install bsd-mailx
root@sid:~# LANG=C apt-get purge mailx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Virtual packages like 'mailx' can't be removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.

Do you expect any issues to having a dummy package fizmo to pull
whatever implementation you consider to be the most likely to be wanted
by users?

Kind regards,
Andrei